The Death of Marat (Detail) Pre-Framed Miniature - 4" X 6"
- Style #
- In 1793, leading French revolutionary painter Jacques-Louis David immortalized the death of journalist Jean-Paul Marat in this painting, La Mort de Marat (The Death of Marat). David sought to imbue Marat with some of the sacred qualities given to religious martyrs and give credence to the revolutionary causes for which he fought by painting him in the style of Michelangelo's Pieta and Caravaggio's Entombment of Christ. His use of dramatic lighting and idealized subject give off a sense of tragic sacrifice. Borrowing religious styles for the purpose of political advancement presaged some later modernist ideas and helped cement the historical significance of David, Marat, and this painting in particular. This detail spotlights the letter held in the subject's hand at the time of death, symbolizing the message the painting conveyed to David's target audience. A truly meaningful piece of history, painted by an influential master, has been precisely reproduced and made available for your personal enjoyment.This made-to-order miniature reproduction will arrive ready to hang, surrounded by one of our custom frames that are built by hand in the USA. Our focus on quality and service means we only use the highest resolution image available when professionally printing onto archival-grade canvas.
- Color: multi
- 12.5" X 2" (including frame)
- Made in USA
Orders cannot be shipped to Canada, Puerto Rico, APO, FPO or P.O. Boxes.
- Artist Grade Canvas/Solid Wood Frame/Ink
- Wipe clean with a damp cloth
- Returnable within 45 days to a U.S. Nordstrom Rack store or by mail.
- Ready to Ship Within 9 business days due to the impact of COVID-19.
- This item does not qualify for free shipping.